Many schools closed, many managed to stay open and some managed both! Congratulations are due to the many staff and pupils who made it in to school, sometimes in the most challenging circumstances.
My immediate reflections take me to several issues:
- Did our transport providers always make the best decisions in the light of the information they, and we, had at the time. In particular, how does it happen that we were unable to contact them until 'too late' to truly consider the situation and make joint decisions?
- To what extent did over-zealous H&S concerns get in the way of opening our schools?
- How effective are our processes for letting parents and pupils know of the daily decision in such circumstances?
- How come schools who struggle to open only to find that significant numbers of pupils cannot get there (for whatever or whoever's reasons) find their 'Unauthorised Absence' figures adversely affected?
- What's the situation regarding staff who did not make it - do they now 'owe' us one or more days' work?
I am sure that there are other questions that deserve exploration - what do you think?